CHAPTER 8 Joints
1) A fibrous joint that is a peg-in-socket is called a ________ joint.
2) The cruciate ligaments of the knee ________.
A) tend to run parallel to one another
B) are also called collateral ligaments
C) prevent hyperextension of the knee
D) assist in defining the range of motion of the leg
3) If a patient was suffering from bursitis, this condition would be designated as inflammation of
A) sesamoid bone found at a joint
B) cavity within a long bone
C) small sac containing fluid
D) articular cartilage
4) An immovable joint found only between skull bones is called a ________.
C) cartilaginous joint
D) synovial joint
5) Articular cartilage found at the ends of the long bones serves to ________.
A) attach tendons
B) produce red blood cells (hemopoiesis)
C) provide a smooth surface at the ends of synovial joints
D) form the synovial membrane
6) A joint united by dense fibrocartilaginous tissue that usually permits a slight degree of
movement is a ________.
7) On the basis of structural classification, which joint is fibrous connective tissue?
8) Connective tissue sacs lined with synovial membranes that act as cushions in places where
friction develops are called ________.
9) Articulations permitting only slight degrees of movement are ________.
D) synovial joints
10) Which of these joint types affords uniaxial movement?
C) ball and socket
11) ________ are cartilaginous joints.
12) The gliding motion of the wrist is accomplished because of the ________ joint.
13) The ligaments that protect the alignment of the femoral and tibial condyles and limit the
movement of the femur anteriorly and posteriorly are called ________.
A) cruciate ligaments
B) patellar ligaments
C) anterior ligaments
D) tibial collateral ligaments
14) Bending your head back until it hurts is an example of ________.
15) In the classification of joints, which of the following is true?
A) Immovable joints are called amphiarthroses.
B) All synovial joints are freely movable.
C) Synarthrotic joints are slightly movable.
D) In cartilaginous joints, a joint cavity is present.
16) A joint that is known as a suture is found ________.
A) in the skull only
B) in areas most prone to fracture
C) where functionally it is amphiarthrotic
D) in areas where bones have not yet closed
17) Synarthrotic joints ________.
A) are found at the junction of the epiphysis and diaphysis of growing bone
B) are cartilaginous joints
C) permit essentially no movement
D) have large joint cavities
18) Fibrous joints are classified as ________.
A) pivot, hinge, and ball and socket
B) symphysis, sacroiliac, and articular
C) hinge, saddle, and ellipsoidal
D) sutures, syndesmoses, and gomphoses
19) In symphysis joints the articular surfaces of the bones are covered with ________.
A) hyaline cartilage
B) synovial membranes
D) tendon sheaths
20) Synovial fluid is present in joint cavities of freely movable joints. Which of the following
statements is true about this fluid?
A) It contains enzymes only.
B) It contains lactic acid.
C) It contains hyaluronic acid.
D) It contains hydrochloric acid.
21) Which of the following statements defines synchondroses?
A) amphiarthrotic joints designed for strength and flexibility
B) interphalangeal joints
C) joints that permit angular movements
D) cartilaginous joints where hyaline cartilage unites the ends of bones
22) Menisci refer to ________.
A) cavities lined with cartilage
B) small sacs containing synovial fluid
C) semilunar cartilage pads
D) tendon sheaths
23) Which of the following is a true statement regarding gliding movements?
A) Gliding movements occur at the intercarpal and intertarsal joints.
B) Gliding movements allow flexibility of the upper limbs.
C) Gliding movements are multiaxial.
D) An example of a gliding movement is nodding oneʹs head.
24) When one is moving a limb away from the median plane of the body along the frontal plane, it
is called ________.
25) The terms inversion and eversion pertain only to ________.
A) the hands
B) the feet
C) the arms
D) the hands and the fee
26) The hip joint is a good example of a(n) ________ synovial joint.
27) Movement allowed in a pivot joint is known as ________.
A) biaxial movement
C) uniaxial rotation
28) Compared to the shoulder, displacements of the hip joints are ________.
A) common due to the weight-bearing the hip endures
B) rare because of the ligament reinforcement
C) common in all people who are overweight
D) rare because the rotator cuff stabilizes the hip joint
29) The ________ ligament holds the radius to the ulna at the proximal end.
B) ulnar collateral
C) radial collateral
30) Which ligament of the knee initiates the knee-jerk reflex when tapped?
A) the patellar ligament
B) the medial patellar retinacula
C) the lateral patellar retinacula
D) the extracapsular ligament
31) Football players often sustain lateral blows to the extended knee. Which of the ligaments is/are
damaged as a result?
A) oblique popliteal and extracapsular ligament
C) arcuate popliteal and the posterior cruciate
D) medial collateral, medial meniscus, and anterior cruciate
32) Which of the following conditions is generally considered a noninflammatory type of arthritis?
D) rheumatoid arthritis
33) Gouty arthritis is a painful condition caused by ________.
A) excessive blood levels of uric acid deposited as crystals in the soft tissue joints
B) a disorder in the bodyʹs immune system resulting in destruction of joints
C) a thickening of the synovial membrane and a decrease in fluid production
D) a bacterial infection in the bursae
34) When a ballerina points the toes, it is known as ________.
B) plantar flexion
35) Which of the following is a true statement?
A) The head of the humerus articulates with the acromion process.
B) The greater tubercule of the humerus articulates at the coracoid process of the scapula.
C) The rotator cuff is responsible for the flexible extensions at the elbow joint.
D) The annular ligament surrounds the head of the radius.
36) Multiaxial joints of the body include ________.
A) the knee and elbow
B) the ankle and wrist
C) the hip and shoulder
D) intercarpal and intertarsal joints
37) Presence of a synovial cavity, articular cartilage, synovial membrane, and ligaments are
characteristics of what type of joint?
D) hinge joint
38) Extracapsular ligaments stabilizing the knee include ________.
A) the patellar ligament extending from femur to patella
B) lateral and medial collateral ligaments preventing lateral or medial angular movements
C) cruciate ligaments, which help secure the articulating bones together
D) the oblique popliteal crossing the knee anteriorly
39) Which is correct about development of joints?
A) Joints develop in parallel with bones.
B) By the end of the fourth week, fetal synovial joints resemble adult joints.
C) All fibrous joints are in the adult form by the time of birth.
D) Joints develop independent of bone growth.
40) An example of an interosseus fibrous joint is ________.
A) the clavicle and the scapula at the distal ends
B) the radius and ulna along its length
C) between the vertebrae
D) between the humerus and the glenoid cavity
41) Which of the following statements best describes angular movements?
A) They allow movement only in one plane.
B) They allow movement in several planes.
C) They occur only between bones with flat articular processes.
D) They change (increase or decrease) the angle between two bones.
42) Saddle joints have concave and convex surfaces. Name the two bones of the hand that
articulate to form a saddle joint.
A) The scaphoid of the index finger and the triquetral of the middle finger.
B) The trapezium of the ring finger and the capitate of the fourth finger.
C) The scaphoid of the middle finger and lunate of the index finger.
D) The trapezium of the carpal bone and the thumbʹs metacarpal.
43) Tendon sheaths ________.
A) act as friction-reducing structures
B) are lined with dense irregular connective tissue
C) form channels for tendons
D) help anchor the tendon to the muscle
44) Lyme disease is a bacterial disease transmitted by the bite of a ________.
If you have any questions or notice any mistakes,
Please message me. I will try to reply within 48 hours.
Thank you for taking the time to view my notecards!
Good luck in your class!