1) The reproductive system includes
2) The reproductive system
3) Sperm are moved along the ductus deferens (vas deferens) by
4) Arrange the four structures listed below into the order in which sperm pass from the testis to the urethral meatus.
5) The organ that monitors and adjusts the composition of tubular fluid, recycles damaged spermatozoa, and is the site of sperm maturation is the
6) The organ that carries sperm from the epididymis to the urethra is the
7) Inward projections of the tunica albuginea, known as septa, divide the testis into
8) Straight tubules originate at the seminiferous tubules and form a network of passageways called the
9) Which of the following muscles move the testes toward the body?
10) The spermatic cord is
11) The dense layer of connective tissue that surrounds the testis is called the
12) Interstitial cells produce
14) Sperm production occurs in the
13) The nurse cells of the seminiferous tubules do all of the following except
15) Sperm develop from stem cells called
16) When spermatogonia divide, the daughter cells are called
17) The cells that are formed during spermatogenesis by the first meiosis are called
18) The process of spermiogenesis produces
19) The organ that produces a secretion that contains fructose, prostaglandins, and fibrinogen is the
20) The organ that surrounds the urethra and produces an alkaline secretion is the
21) The small paired structures at the base of the penis that secrete a thick, alkaline mucus are the
22) Semen contains all of the following except
23) The special type of cell division required to produce gametes is called
24) The external marking of the boundary between the two testes is the
25) The organ that delivers semen into the female reproductive tract is the
26) The fold of skin that covers the glans penis is the
27) The urethral meatus is an opening in the
28) The erectile tissue that surrounds the urethra is the
29) The paired erectile bodies in the penis are the
30) The role of FSH in males is to
31) The pituitary hormone that stimulates the interstitial cells to secrete testosterone is
32) Which of the following glands contributes the most volume to semen?
33) The male reproductive system is most closely associated with which of the following systems?
34) Which of the following can be found inside the spermatic cord?
35) Nurse cells
36) The delicate layer of serous membrane that covers the testis is called the
37) A primary spermatocyte matures into ________ spermatids having ________ chromosomes.
38) The special type of cell division required to produce gametes is called
39) Spermatozoa are functionally matured within the
40) During meiosis I, maternal and paternal chromosomes come together during the process called ________ to form a ________.
41) Crossing over occurs during ________ of meiosis ________.
43) Interstitial cells
44) The PSA test is used for diagnosis of
45) The ductus deferens is approximately ________ cm long.
46) In a mature human spermatozoan, the
47) A typical ejaculation releases approximately ________ sperm.
48) Secondary spermatocytes each contain
49) Testosterone is secreted by the
50) Where in the male reproductive system would you expect to find the most mature spermatozoa?
51) If the prostate stopped secreting fluid, this would result in semen
52) A vasectomy would interfere with a man's ability to
53) Contraction of the cremaster muscles
54) Contraction of the dartos muscle
55) Functions of the accessory glands of the male reproductive system include all of the following except
56) A boy has a genetic mutation such that FSH is not produced, but LH is normal. After the boy grows to maturity, it is likely he will
57) A male bodybuilder starts taking injections of testosterone (an anabolic steroid) on a daily basis. After three weeks, which of the following would you expect to observe?
68) Which of the following descriptions best matches the term endometrium?
69) The broad ligament is a(n)
70) The organ that transports the ovum to the uterus is the
71) The organ that provides mechanical protection and nutritional support for the developing embryo is the
72) The round ligaments extend from the
73) The inferior one-third portion of the uterus that projects into the vagina is the
74) The thick muscular layer of the uterus is the
75) Which of the following statements concerning oogenesis is false?
76) The surge in luteinizing hormone that occurs during the middle of the ovarian cycle triggers
77) A rise in the blood levels of follicle-stimulating hormone at the beginning of the ovarian cycle is responsible for
79) During the proliferative phase of the menstrual cycle, the
80) During the secretory phase of the menstrual cycle,
81) During the menses,
82) Which of the following statements concerning the vagina is false?
83) The vagina is
84) The vulva includes all of the following except the
85) The uterine phase that develops because of a fall in progesterone levels is the
86) The space bounded by the labia minora is the
87) Fatty folds of skin that encircle and partially conceal the labia minora and vestibule are the
88) The clitoris
89) The pigmented skin that surrounds the nipple is the
90) The principal hormone secreted by the corpus luteum is
91) Menstruation is triggered by a drop in the levels of
92) The granulosa cells of developing follicles secrete
93) Which of the following is not an action of estrogen?
94) Problems with ligaments attachments to the uterus or stretched ligaments would result in
95) The ________ is the region of the vagina that surrounds the cervix.
96) Which region of the uterine tube captures the ovum?
97) The ________ is the rounded portion of the uterine body superior to the attachment of the uterine tubes.
98) The attachment of the ovary to the uterus is with the
99) The portion of the uterine tube that ends in fingerlike fimbriae is the
100) The primary follicle develops from the
101) The fold of peritoneum that extends out from the ovary to the wall of the pelvis is called the
102) Which of the following descriptions best matches the term round ligament?
103) Which of the following descriptions best matches the term myometrium?
104) The segment of the uterine tube where fertilization commonly occurs is the
105) Which of the following statements is false regarding the female reproductive tract?
106) Which of the following is not a similarity between the testis and ovary?
107) The broad ligament attaches to all of the following organs except the
108) Which of the following is the function of the ovaries?
109) Which of the following statements about oogenesis is false?
110) The ________ is the largest portion of the uterus.
111) Another term for vulva is
112) A sample of a woman's blood is analyzed for reproductive hormone levels. The results indicate a high level of progesterone, relatively high levels of inhibin, and low levels of FSH and LH. The female is most likely experiencing ________ of the uterine cycle.
113) Follicle-stimulating hormone
114) A mature follicle releases an ovum in response to a surge in
115) After ovulation, the ovary secretes
116) Ovarian cancer is the deadliest of the reproductive cancers because it
117) Which of the following descriptions best matches the term uterine tube?
118) Which of the following statements about the menstrual cycle is true?
129) Emission and ejaculation
130) Contractions of the skeletal muscles of the pelvic floor result in
131) Which of the following is a type of sexually transmitted disease?
132) For erection to occur,
133) Which of the following does not occur after menopause?
1) The male gonad is called a(n)
2) The ________ is a layer of smooth muscle in the skin of the scrotal sac.
3) Spermatids mature into spermatozoa by the process of
4) The ________ is the part of the sperm that contains the DNA.
5) The middle piece of the sperm contains the ________ in a spiral arrangement.
6) Which of the following statements regarding erection is true?
7) A normal sperm count ranges from approximately ________ spermatozoa per milliliter.
8) The ________ of a sperm contains the enzymes essential for fertilization.
9) Why are inguinal hernias generally associated with males?
10) Primary spermatocytes are produced by mitosis of cells called
11) The portion of the urethra that passes through the pelvic cavity floor is called the
12) The term ________ means the failure of one or both testes to descend into the scrotum by the time of birth.
13) The most important androgen is
14) The formation of a tetrad of maternal and paternal chromosomes during spermatogenesis is called
15) The portion of the urethra that penetrates the urogenital diaphragm is the
16) The portion of the urethra that passes through a column of erectile tissue to the external urethral meatus is the
17) The surgical removal of the prepuce is called
18) The ________ carries fluid from the seminal gland (seminal vesicle) through the prostate.
19) The ductus deferens passes through the ________ to enter the pelvic cavity.
20) The organ inferior to the urinary bladder and contains the urethra in the middle is the ________ gland.
21) The hormone that stimulates spermatogenesis in males is
22) The interstitial cells in the testes produce
23) The cremaster muscle can raise and lower the testes to regulate
24) The hormone that stimulates ovulation is
25) The hood that covers the clitoris is called the
26) The muscle layer of the uterus is the
27) The ________ is a pocket formed between the posterior wall of the uterus and the anterior surface of the rectum.
28) The ________ ligament extends from the uterus, near the attachment of the uterine tube, to the medial surface of the ovary.
29) The ________ ligament extends from the lateral surface of the ovary to the pelvic wall.
30) The funnel-like opening at the distal end of the uterine tube is called the
31) The ________ are fingerlike projections that capture the freshly ovulated ovum.
32) The expanded, initial segment of the uterine tube is called the
33) The ________ of the uterine tube is between the uterus and the ampulla.
34) Sperm enter the cervical canal through the external
35) The ________ ligaments extend from the base of the uterus and vagina to the lateral walls of the pelvis.
36) The main portion of the uterus is called the corpus or
37) The portion of the uterus that projects into the vagina is called the
38) The painful condition that develops because epithelial tissue from the uterus is present in the peritoneal cavity is
39) The ________ is the inner lining of the uterus.
40) The internal os connects the uterine cavity to the
41) The shallow recess that surrounds the cervical protrusion into the vagina is called the
42) The ________ is the glycoprotein-rich region between the developing oocyte and the granulosa cells.
43) The fluid-filled cavity that appears in a secondary follicle is called the
44) The ________ consists of the follicle cells that cling to the oocyte after ovulation.
45) Mammography, a procedure used for examining breast tissue, is based on
46) The surgical procedure in which the entire breast is removed is called a
47) Menstruation is the process of sloughing off the old functional layer of the
48) The ________ provides mechanical protection, nutritional support, and waste removal for the developing embryo.
49) After menopause, the production of two pituitary hormones increases. One of these is
50) The ________ is the endometrial layer that undergoes dramatic changes during the menstrual cycle.
51) Painful menstruation is called
52) An inflammation of the vaginal canal caused by fungi, bacteria, or parasites is called
53) The ________ is an elastic epithelial layer between the vagina and vestibule, which, if present, is often torn during first intercourse.
54) The glands that produce mucus used as a lubricant during sexual intercourse are ________ glands.
55) The first menses is called the
56) Impotence is defined as an inability to achieve or maintain
57) Which of the following is directly responsible for an orgasm?
58) The subsidence of an erection after ejaculation is known as
59) The cessation of menstruation after no more developing follicles remain is called