1) ________ is a pivotal molecule associated with the external surfaces of aggregated platelets
and is involved in the intrinsic and extrinsic mechanisms of blood clotting.
D) Thromboplastin (prothrombin activator)
3) The special type of hemoglobin present in fetal red blood cells is ________.
A) hemoglobin A
B) hemoglobin B
C) hemoglobin F
D) hemoglobin S
4) Together, leukocytes and platelets comprise approximately ________ percent of total blood
6) Which of the following is a regulatory function of blood?
A) delivery of oxygen to body cells
B) transport of metabolic wastes from cells
C) prevention of blood loss
D) maintenance of normal pH in body tissues
7) Which of the following is a protective function of blood?
A) prevention of blood loss
B) maintenance of adequate fluid volume
C) maintenance of normal pH in body tissue
D) maintenance of body temperature
8) Which of the following is not a phase of erythropoiesis?
A) production of ribosomes
B) synthesis of hemoglobin
C) ejection of the erythrocyte nucleus
D) production of vacuoles
9) Which of the following might trigger erythropoiesis?
A) hypoxia of EPO-producing cells
B) decreased tissue demand for oxygen
C) an increased number of RBCs
D) moving to a lower altitude
10) As red blood cells age ________.
A) ATP production increases
B) membranes ʺwear outʺ and the cells become damaged
C) they will eventually be excreted by the digestive system
D) iron will be excreted by the kidneys
11) An individual who is blood type AB negative ________.
A) can receive any blood type in moderate amounts except that with the Rh antigen
B) can donate to all blood types in moderate amounts
C) can receive types A, B, and AB, but not type O
D) can donate to types A, B, and AB, but not to type O
12) The most abundant plasma protein is ________.
B) clotting protein
13) When neither anti-A nor anti-B clots on a blood plate, the blood is type ________.
14) Select the correct statement regarding blood cell formation.
A) The main sites of blood cell production in adults are the spleen and the liver.
B) Before the seventh month of fetal development, yellow marrow is the main site of blood
C) Red marrow is the main site of blood cell formation throughout adult life.
D) Yellow marrow is the main site of leukocyte formation.
15) Blood volume restorers include all of the following except ________.
C) packed cells
D) saline solutions
16) James has a hemoglobin measurement of 16 g/100 ml blood. This is ________.
A) above normal
B) normal only if James is an infant
C) abnormally low
D) within the normal range
17) Which of these is not a normal plasma protein?
B) gamma globulin
18) All of the following can be expected with polycythemia except ________.
A) high hematocrit
B) low blood viscosity
C) increased blood volume
D) high blood pressure
19) No visible cytoplasmic granules are present in ________.
20) Which of the following is not a phase of hemostasis?
A) vascular spasm
C) platelet plug formation
21) Which of the following are not currently known red blood cell antigens?
22) Place the following in correct developmental sequence:
4. late erythroblast
A) 1, 2, 3, 4
B) 1, 3, 2, 4
C) 2, 1, 3, 4
D) 2, 4, 3, 1
23) A lack of intrinsic factor, leading to a deficiency of vitamin B12 and large pale cells called
macrocytes, is characteristic of ________.
A) aplastic anemia
C) pernicious anemia
D) sickle-cell anemia
24) The slowest step in the clotting process is ________.
A) formation of prothrombin activator
B) production of fibrin strands
C) binding fibrin strands
D) release of PF3
25) Thromboembolic disorders ________.
A) result in uncontrolled bleeding
B) include thrombus formation, a clot in a broken blood vessel
C) include embolus formation, a clot moving within the circulatory system
D) are caused by vitamin K deficiency
26) Which of the following is not a cause of bleeding disorders?
A) thrombocytopenia, a condition of decreased circulating platelets
B) excess secretion of platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF)
C) a defect in the clotting cascade
D) vitamin K deficiency
27) Which of the following is characteristic of all leukocytes?
A) They are nucleated.
B) They have cytoplasmic granules.
C) They are phagocytic.
D) They are the most numerous of the formed elements in blood
28) Which of the following is true about blood plasma?
A) It is the same as serum but without the clotting proteins.
B) The main protein component is hemoglobin.
C) It is about 90% water.
D) It contains about 20 dissolved components.
29) Platelets ________.
A) stick to the damaged area of a blood vessel and help seal the break
B) have a life span of about 120 days
C) are the precursors of leukocytes
D) have multiple nuclei
30) Select the correct statement regarding age-related blood disorders.
A) They include anemias and thromboembolic disorders.
B) They are usually the result of the red blood cells wearing out.
C) Increased incidence of leukemia is not usually associated with aging.
D) They are caused by abnormal forms of hemoglobin F.
31) Which sequence is correct for the following events?
1. fibrinogen → fibrin
2. clot retraction
3. formation of thromboplastin
4. prothrombin → thrombin
A) 3, 4, 1, 2
B) 1, 2, 3, 4
C) 4, 3, 1, 2
D) 3, 2, 1, 4
32) Fredʹs blood was determined to be AB positive. What does this mean?
A) There are no antibodies to A, to B, or to Rh antigens in the plasma.
B) Antibodies to A and B are present in the red cells.
C) His blood lacks Rh factor.
D) He can only receive blood from a donor who is AB positive.
33) Which of the following is a precursor of a basophil?
34) Sickling of red blood cells can be produced in those with sickle-cell anemia by ________.
A) travel at high altitude
B) vigorous exercise
C) malaria and travel at high altitude
D) travel at high altitude and vigorous exercise
35) All of the following conditions impair coagulation except ________.
A) vascular spasm
B) vitamin K deficiency
C) severe hypocalcemia
D) liver disease
36) When can erythroblastosis fetalis not possibly happen in the child of an Rh negative mother?
A) if the child is type O positive
B) if the child is Rh+
C) if the father is Rh+
D) if the father is Rh-
37) Complications of aplastic anemia generally do not include ________.
A) increase of leukocytes as a result of erythrocyte loss
B) suppressed immunity
C) impaired formation of all formed elements
D) bleeding disorders
38) Blood is a ________.
B) homogeneous compound
C) heterogenous compound
39) What organ in the body regulates erythrocyte production?
40) The shelf life of whole collected blood at 4° C is about ________ days.